Wednesday 22 January 2014

France in autumn

Bittersweet October. The perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter. Carol Bishop Hipps

Bittersweet indeed. The anticipation was sweet ...

 

When we arrived, the air of the courtyard was thick with dust. The builders were throwing timber, earth and terracotta tiles out of the windows of one section of the building and onto the 'flower beds'. They could be excused for thinking that they weren't spoiling a beautiful garden, since few plants were flowering, but I think their main concern was to get the dusty job finished as soon as possible and never mind the impact on the immediate environment. Then they sat in the shade of the field maple and filbert trees to clean the tiles, adding mud to the already dusty earth.
 

I don't know why I thought I could make a garden on a building site, but I do know that nature is very resilient and will recover quickly. The last roses around the edges of the site are still beautiful, the hazel nuts are ripe and as the seasons turn, I turn to my drawing board and plans for creating a grass-free lawn, amongst other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment