Sunday 7 June 2015

Exciting times

Suddenly the garden in Dorset has come together. The builders have finished with this bit of the property and have taken away the last of the rubble, sand and tools that were stacked tidily (for builders) across one corner. Piers got to work, and in two days had finished the walling. I told him that the back-ache was worth it, but at the moment he doesn't believe me.


I started the remaining planting. I appreciate design in a garden, and I don't think that I have really achieved it here. To some extent that is deliberate. We have the structure provided by the surrounding walls, the courtyard paving and gravel, and now the new, low rock-walling.


Also, the existing climbers (not yet completely tamed), the Acer and Viburnum. Having decided on a cottage style, the emphasis is on many shapes and colours, so within the framework that we have in place, I can put in pretty much anything that isn't too highly bred.


I am aiming for a patchwork of dainty forms and colours that will give interest during the parts of the year when it is pleasant to be outside. I'm not quite sure what will work in the long run, so I have often bought only one of a particular type of plant, and will wait to see how it likes its new home and whether or not it bulks up and I can split it in the autumn.


There are plants that I simply cannot live without – London Pride, Aquelegia, anemone nemorosa, Japanese anemones, foxgloves, for example. Will they like it here? When the greenhouse is built I shall have scope for raising plants that take my fancy and fill a niche. I'm sure nature will help me to bring rhythm to this little space.


No comments:

Post a Comment